Friday, February 9

Open society

The latest accusations over whether the increasingly authoritarian Labour government are persecuting muslims - regarding the arrest of Abu Izzadeen, reminded me of a quote from Karl Popper

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them… We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal."


Is this Labour government being overly authoritarian? Yes. Are they arresting Muslims on flimsy reasons? I suspect so. Are they doing this for political reasons? I don't think so, but I believe they are taking advantage of the arrests for political reasons.

Does Izzadeen have the right to call for terrorist acts, and expect nothing to be done to stop him?

No.

Why should I fight to the death for someone's right to say something when what they are saying is that I should be killed?

My feeling is this - you have the right to live how you wish to live. You even have the right to say how I live is wrong. But you don't have the right to declare that I should die, and that you call for someone to kill me, because of the way I live.

No comments: